9.26.2016




Last Wednesday marked my three year wedding anniversary. Whenever I think about it, I can't help but go back to the days leading up to our ceremony and how nervous I was. I remember feeling sick to my stomach, all tied in knots,  and I wanted to call the whole thing off and elope. Or do it in a courthouse with nobody watching. Or maybe fly to Mars where I'm assuming you don't need a marriage license. I was never one of those little girls that dreamed about her wedding day. I wanted a family of course, but I never really gave much thought into what that would entail. When you grow up seeing your parents arguing non-stop, it doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies that marriage can actually work. So while most girls imagined a fairy tale, all I really wanted was just a companion and a friend. I wanted security, and I don't mean monetarily. I wanted someone to share my thoughts and feelings without judgement. Someone to laugh at my stupid jokes, someone who understood that I'm timid and I always need a push to try new things.




We have been together for over ten years now and I don't remember much about love before him. I can't even fathom what dating would be like today. I'm pretty sure I would just give up and get a house full of dogs, maybe a pet pig. I think reality t.v. has ruined relationships. People seem to care more about looks than actually having a partner you could grow old with, someone who won't run if you get hit by a car and end up in a wheelchair. This is going to sound over the top but stay with me here... I like my husband because I know he will be there for me when I'm old, senile, can hardly walk, and need him to wipe my ass for me. I would do the same for him. Now that's love.

So it isn't always pretty. We fight and get angry and bored with each other like all couples inevitably do. But he's my friend, and we chose each other to ride through this messy life. I wouldn't have it any other way...that's the truly romantic part about marriage and monogamy, the part that Hollywood often forgets to tell you in movies. The truth? With all of our shortcomings as human beings, with all of our flaws, we still choose each other every single day.




Wearing //
Kate Spade licorice pumps, exact & similar for less
Lush dress, great option


I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Carylee in this post because she was the one that convinced me to buy my very first pair of Kate Spade Licorice pumps at a steal! Thank you for being a part of my anniversary Caryl! The shoes were a hit, and I felt like I did leave a little sparkle wherever I went that evening :)

11 comments:

  1. You are right, this is what love is about. Happy Anniversary to you! And yes dating nowadays is just a joke lol. You look lovely.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Love those adorable shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 3rd Anniversary!! And yes, marriage is so much more than just a big fairytale wedding. So glad you have someone great to do life with and grow old together! (And see you tonight!)
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes. My husband and I have the same type of relationship and sometimes I feel like we are the only ones that are truly in this messy thing, we call life and marriage and children, forever. You give me hope that there are others out there like us. Happy Anniversary and you girl are rocking those awesome shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa, I'm so grateful you enjoyed my post! I often second guess my choice to write more personal content but I feel compelled to lately! Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. I can't believe it's been three years...I feel like it was just yesterday that you go engaged!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies so much! We had a wonderful anniversary, and now I want more Kate spade pumps. Uh oh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary, Noelle! Re-entering the dating world is the worst -- thankfully you have Nate and don't ever have to worry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading your thoughts on this....after being together for so long and through so much - it's true that it's not the grand gestures but the feeling of security that counts <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post! The outfit and the words. Happy anniversary! Love does look a lot more like you've described and a lot less like crazy romance all the time. I'm glad too.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. My eyes are totally watering reading this post! Truth be told, you and Nate are one of my most favorite couples. I love that I can SEE and feel how much you love him with every snap, with every mention of his name, and while I read this. That love is so pure and not one that many people ever feel in a lifetime and I am so happy that you have found that! (I love my Matt too like that, don't take this the wrong way! Ha!) And I'm SO HAPPY you love the heels! They are gorgeous on you! I will keep you on my notify list if I see any more on crazy sale again!! Happiest of anniversaries!!!!!
    Carylee | more pieces of me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every one, and do my best to answer questions or return the favor on your blog.